The Oregon Broadband Equity Coalition (OBEC) is a statewide group of organizations, Tribal Nations, Internet Service Providers, community members, and business and government representatives working together to promote access to broadband with the necessary tools and skills to be proficient and safe.
The coalition works on broadband and digital equity issues affecting covered populations as defined in the Digital Equity Act of 2021. These populations include:
- Households with incomes at or below 150% of the poverty line
- Individuals 60 years of age or older
- Individuals with disabilities
- Individuals with barriers to the English language, including English language learners and those with low literacy
- Members of a racial or ethnic minority group
- Primarily reside in a rural area
- Incarcerated individuals, other than individuals who are incarcerated in a Federal correctional facility
What We Do
We work on digital equity issues across Oregon, including:
- Broadband Affordability
- Internet Accessibility
- Digital Device Availability
- Digital Literacy
We also advocate for digital equity issues at the county, state, regional and national level.
How We Do Our Work
- We build relationships and encourage cross-disciplinary collaborations.
- We share best practices and resources.
- We leverage our combined networks to spread news and information about digital equity in Oregon.
- We help advocate for digital equity, digital literacy, accessibility and affordability at the state and national level.
OBEC strives for inclusive representation from all Oregon counties, Tribal Nations, metro/urban and rural communities, across a variety of sectors, including: education, health care, government, workforce development, economic development, precision agriculture, emergency management, housing, food systems, travel/recreation and more.
We are an open coalition and anyone is welcome to join, including members of the public. There is no fee or other requirement to join.
- Our statewide coalition member meetings are held every 4th Thursday of each month.
- OBEC workgroup meetings are held as needed.